10 Winter Driving Safety Tips
Here are some valuable tips to help you to prepare for winter driving:
- Keep your vehicles in good working order by having them serviced regularly.
- Store jumper cables, snow brush, scraper, gloves, hat, blanket, flashlight and water in your vehicle in case you get stuck.
- Carry a first-aid kit and refresh any supplies that may need to be replaced.
- Keep gas tanks full to prevent ice in the tank or fuel lines.
- Replace worn tires and check tire air pressure.
If you find you must drive in winter conditions, please remember the following:
- Do not rush. Driving slowly will help prevent accidents.
- Never warm-up a vehicle in a closed area.
- Clear windshield and windows completely before driving.
- Be sure the tailpipe is clear before you sit in a running vehicle.
- Do not follow snowplows too closely. Stay back at least 5 car lengths.